Saturday, February 9, 2008

Pride

I come here to journal-it is fun writing on this bubbly wall. I am blessed with the past of knowing a dear friend, Willard Lohnes (I always thought kind of a funny name) and his lovely wife, Maria. His life continues to leave a rich scent of His thirst for God, once again.



Now That’s A Bad Question

“Humble yourself in the sight of God”

James 4:10


'“Am I proud?” Yes. I think that I would feel much more comfortable with, “Are you proud?” Or even, “Are Never mind, I think that we should both get another topic so we can all feel more at ease. I am at home being sick and that always is cause for mind-dwelling. Kona my golden Labrador is lying right next to my bed. She won’t move unless I do. I’ve concluded, she is humble. This is where the topic formulated.



If you are like me, I do not like certain questions and this is probably the worst but it is one that we must ask if we are to be honest in our evaluations of the heart, our hearts.



Life can be a good teacher but it can also be a good hider of truth. We can look at ourselves in the light of the world, people, or circumstances and conclude that because of them, we are a constructive composite for others to consider. We says: position proves person, influence issues integrity, and accomplishments authenticates admiration. But I fear that all of this simply is an acceptable authentic pride.



But more, as I provocatively enter into this abyss on pride, my thoughts move to the evaluation of it. How does one know if he is proud since in the very essence of pride is the false belief of one’s importance or power. It goes like this, of course I am not proud because to be proud is unworthy and I am worthy so I am not proud. The problem with pride is the deception it disperses. Pride will not let me acknowledge itself in me. Also pride will not allow itself to be viewed or violated, but it will push me to vindicate it. So how do I know it in me?



Intermission, Kona just stirred because I moved. This is intriguing, she is totally satisfied to be here, albeit sleeping. When I sit up, she lifts her head to see what I am doing. If I get up, she follows. She wants to be in my presence and nothing else matters. Ah, here is a key. I think that dogs, at least mine, are humble. Her joy is overtly and unashamedly to love me by being with me.



Ok, I take it for granted that I am proud, there I said it, I fear that I have been too long, too much, and too foolish in it. But this admission has brought me to a conclusion. Love is the evaluator of pride. If I can love, I tend to be humble. To love is to place myself at the disposal of someone else, not myself. Therefore, our question is, “How am I doing in loving? Take some time to answer.



Next, how do I fix it? Be humble! Great! How do I do that? Humility is a virtue that cannot be directly obtained. It is the result of another action. James says in his book of clear and often condemning considerations, “Humble yourself in the sight of God”. He assumes that everyone is proud in some way. This is true. Remedy? Place yourself in God’s presence. Ask, “Do I want, love, and desire to be with God?” Do I wait on Him? How is my prayer life? Do I love talking with him? This is tough going. I fight constantly with my prayer times. I tend to be too work-heavy to stop and pray. Not a good attribute and one that needs to change.



So why is Kona important? Kona is still lying next to the bed, just waiting, sleeping. Her day is caught up in mine. She is enjoying just being with me. That is life for her and it ought to be ours with God. Just wanting to be with Him. Just loving to be with Him. Just knowing that He is my life. You only can love what you know. So get into His presence and learn. “I am His and He is mine”, a song we sang Sunday and a song of humble answers.



Pride is being satisfied with myself not needing others.

Humility is also being satisfied but by or with Another’s self.



“Almighty God, in this quiet hour I seek communion with thee. From the fret and fever of the day’s business, from the world’s discordant noises, from the praise and blame of men, from the confused thoughts and vain imaginations of my own heart, I would now turn aside and seek the quietness of thy presence.” John Baillie



I would add, “And so become like Christ by enjoying Him as You do.



Will'



So I bring my friend's words to thought. Christ was The Example of humility-He truly loved. He came to us selflessly (in comparison to heaven, there was nothing this earth would give back to Him). A tip of the iceburg: He loved the blind man; He loved the women at the well; Heloved betrayers; He loved when He was alone, and He loved in His final breaths..."not my will but Yours be done".

No comments: